Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 5: Sullivans Island, SC

By Molly [& Karen]

Some of us woke up at 6:30 am to walk two blocks to the beach. We met Mrs. Stone and three dogs, Stella, Pippy, and Inch, there. There were so many dogs that I think that there were more dogs than people on the beach. The ocean was warm and fun to swim in. Then we went back and had breakfast that Mrs. Stone had made. [The beach was beautiful -- very wide and flat and hard so that folks were even bicycling on the sand near the shore. It's a dog's paradise so long as your canine sports a Sullivans Island dogtag meaning they can roam free early in the day.]

We went to Fort Moultrie. Three of us were on bikes and the rest of us were in the golf cart with Mr. Stone. The fort was really cool because of all the cannons. The fort had lots of tunnels and archways. [Fort Moultrie was originally made up of palmetto logs -- palm trees that are also the state tree of South Carolina. The fort has had several reincarnations over the years and had played an active role in both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.]

In the afternoon, we all went to the beach and walked in the ocean out to the huge sandbar. Mr. Stone found two sand dollars. One was alive and brown with a million feelers on the bottom. The other one was dead and white and he let me keep it as a souvenir.

Then we went back to the house, took showers, and went to see Ben [Eve's oldest son] and his fishing boat. Ben is the captain of a really fancy fishing boat. When we got to the dock, we saw Ben cutting up the fish: tuna, mackerel, and dolphin. Cutting up the fish is very disgusting because you get blood and guts all over your hands. I'm glad that I don't have to cut up the fish. I just get to eat it. I fed the fish skins to the pelicans and they gobbled it right up.

In the evening, we all headed down to the beach for a beach fire. The beach fire was very fun because we got to roast weenies and marshmallows on the Stones' fencing swords. I could see lightning far away but it was warm and windy where we were. We even saw a mermaid scultpture with seashell jewelry and seaweed hair in the sand. [The beach fire and the entire night was spectacular -- fulfilling one of Michael's life-long dreams.]

By the end of the day, I think that I had more mosquito bites than freckles! [It was a wonderful day on Sullivans Island thanks to the incredible Southern hospitality of the Stone Family.]

No comments:

Post a Comment